Sometimes food can bring sweet memories of our childhood, that is why I love food very much. I was born in Timor-Leste with a little family that get used to be a guinea pig for every single recipe my mom got from the tv show every evening. My mom loves cook as much as she loves us. Our favorite dishes are mostly sea foods, we live near the beach and we can get the ingredients so fresh from fishing boats near the fish market.
One of my favorite dish my mom taught me when I was a teenager was squid with kemangi leaves. I love dishes with strong aromatic and strong flavor like this dish I am going to share to you.
Squid with kemangi leaves is one of the Indonesian popular dishes, Indonesian cuisine is one of the most vibrant and colorful cuisines in the world, full of flavor. As an archipelagic nation, seafood is abundant, and it is commonly consumed especially by Indonesian residents in coastal areas and seafood especially popular in the eastern Indonesian regions of Sulawesi and Maluku, where most of the people work as fishermen. My father is from Ujung Pandang, South of Sulawesi so that’s why we love seafood very much. Here’s how I’m making the squid with kemangi leaves.
- 0.6 Lb Calamari/squid, peel off the skin and cut it into a ring shaped
- 2 Red and green pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 8 Kemangi leaves, whole
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Soy sauce
- 100 ml Vegetable stock
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Add the cooking oil on the pan and work over high heat. Fry the Shallot and garlic until browned. Add the red and green pepper, stir it.
- Add the calamari rings and fry about 2 minutes or until it nearly tender. Add vegetable stock, a pinch of salt (just a little bit to add some taste), and 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce. Simmer it for 10 minutes.
- After it cooked add the kemangi leaves and serve it with hot rice.
Kemangi leaves are very popular in Indonesia especially in Java. Even in west of java, they eat it raw with sambal, sliced cucumber and traditional fried chicken. It has strong fragrant and strong flavor like basil leave. Hope you enjoy it SELAMAT MAKAN(Bon Appetit).